High Waisted is a wildly fun quartet of locals, bringing sunny, lo-fi surf rock to the not-so-beachy streets of NYC. Reverb-layered guitar leads are a huge part of their sound, and High Waisted makes sure that the band’s combined dynamics not only accompany those integral sonic textures but also accentuate them. While there are definitely pop and psychedelic sensibilities in the mix, High Waisted are wise to capitalize on the raw power and drive of garage rock — and without getting hung up on staying overwhelmingly fuzzed out or unpolished. Somehow, they’ve managed to balance organic, unfiltered energy with the finesse necessary to craft lush and dreamy soundscapes that make you want to both chill and get up to dance and freak out — which is quite a feat.
High Waisted’s debut EP comes out later this spring and they open for La Sera tomorrow night. Listen to their Acid Tape Volume 1 and get to know the band’s favorite things below.
1. Flaming Hot Cheetos and Bud Light Lime (I am addicted!!!)
2. See through shirts and no bra (my every day wardrobe)
3. This live video by The Creation covering my favorite Otis Redding Song (swoon)
4. Hamburger Sweatshirts (cuz’ duh)
5. Wearing everyone’s glasses at once (this is our guitar player Stephen, aint he dreamy?)
6. Pizza (all day, every day)
7. Bad Ass Bitches
9. Our hottie British friend’s, Citizens! and their sexy video for “True Romance”
10. Breaking up with boys who suck
11. Spring Break (woooooot!)
12. Avocados (Sike! I’m allergic!)
13. Dogs Surfing